Tuesday 23 April 2013

D'oh!

Ice Bar, Madrid.
Last night I went out with some friends for one of their 21st birthdays. It was a really lovely night: weather was warm, good company, good food, alcohol. What's not to enjoy?! We ended up going to the Ice Bar in Madrid which was an experience! We all queued up waiting for our massive coats to go in. It was fairly expensive, but we got a free shot and drink whilst there, plus the coat, so it wasn't too bad when you look at it like that. 

What with all the excitement of going to the Ice Bar, I forgot one very important thing: I have diabetes. 

Question: What happens to insulin when you walk it into what is essentially a massive freezer?

Another question: What happens to blood testing kits when you try to use them below a certain temperature?

Yep. That happened. This definitely makes it's way up to the top of my list of diabetes-related fails, without a doubt! I didn't even think about it until it got to 9.30pm (the time I take my Levemir) and then it hit me that I'd been carrying it in my handbag in this massive freezer! Luckily, it wasn't too bad, but even so, I have now binned both cartridges just to be on the safe side.

It's a times like this that I question how I'm even still living! Like the time I was hypo, and was downing what I though was apple juice, but actually turned out to be sugar free apple squash (which explained why the hypo wasn't getting any better), which is now number 2 on my list after tonight! 

It's a good thing natural selection doesn't seem to apply here...yet, anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment