Monday 13 May 2013

Diabetes Blog Week: Day 1 - Share And Don't Share


Today marks the start of the 4th Annual Diabetes Blog Week. Visit Karen at Bittersweet if you want to know more! On to day 1...

Often our healthcare team only sees us for about 15 minutes several times a year, and they might not have a sense of what our lives are really like. Today, let's pretend our medical team is reading our blogs. What do you wish they could see about your and/or your loved ones daily life with diabetes? On the other hand, what do you hope they don't see?

I wish they could see just how much effort I put into controlling my diabetes instead of just judging me on that one hba1c result that apparently tells them everything. It's so frustrating putting the work in and then not seeing that work reflected in the hba1c figure, but that always seems to be the number they care about. I am not my number

I also wish they'd remember that I'm a student! I understand that my diabetes care is important, but I'm also 20 years old, currently on my year abroad and will be beginning my final year this coming September. Just because I'm not always armed with sugar logs and insulin doses when I come to appointments, it doesn't mean I'm not making diabetes a priority, it's that I'm not making logging a priority. There's a difference.

As for the don't share...when I write about my bad days. I know they're part of living with diabetes. Diabetes burnout happens, and it's just a case of picking myself back up and getting back on track. But my last couple of burnouts have been baddd! It's a good thing they don't witness that side of it!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the lovely comment Vicki, your blog is awesome! Hope you're okay and the Diabetes Fairy is treating you well :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries! I was just so happy to see you writing again! Hope the Diabetes Fairy is treating you well too!

      Delete
  2. I know that my diabetes care was at it's worst when I was in college. I found it so hard to be a college kid and a diabetic at the same time. Keep up the good work, and of course, when the drs can't support you, the DOC can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Briley!
      Yeah, my diabetes care has been very up-and-down, but I'm getting there. And the DOC has helped so much; I'm so glad I'm a part of it!
      Take care!

      Delete