Thursday 9 May 2013

#GB DOC.

#gbdoc
Last night, at 9pm GMT (10pm in Spain) I took part in my first ever GB DOC "tweet chat". It was...interesting. Twitter is very new to me and it took me a while to get into the swing of things, but, all in all, I think I was successful. I hope I was successful, anyway, but, more to the point, I enjoyed it. 

First, what is this GB DOC I'm talking about?

GB DOC is a group that was set up by people with diabetes, for people with diabetes. It stems from the Diabetes Social Media Advocacy (DSMA), which is run in the USA, whose tagline is "Simple questions, thought-provoking answers. Strengthening the diabetic community one Tweet at a time".  

Every Wednesday, at 9pm GMT, there is a moderated, online "tweet chat" and every week a different topic is discussed (last night's theme being diabetes and work/school/college etc). The chat starts with everyone introducing themselves: name, what type of diabetes you have and for how long etc etc, and then, over the course of the hour, the moderator (@theGBDOC) asks a series of questions regarding whatever the theme of the evening is. Like I've said, it took me a while to get into it, but all in all, I think I was successful, but, most importantly, I enjoyed it.

I already knew that the DOC was huge - online groups, forums, blogs - but it turns out I didn't know the half of it! Twitter is where it's at! The number of people there taking part in these chats and raising awareness is incredible. I'm looking forward to taking part again next week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment